Monday, July 30, 2007

The case for walking

I got a pair of free passes to see a preview screening of Becoming Jane, the movie starring Anne Hathaway as Jane Austen this Thursday and had to go down to Bloor and Jarvis to pick them up. I took the subway down during my lunch hour and walked out east along Bloor where I noticed this sculpture called "Community" by Kirk Newman. According to the nearby plaque, it was commissioned by Manulife Financial in 2001.

I can't tell you how many times I've driven by it in the last 6 years and not noticed it. I love how dynamic the people look: the men striding briskly through the crowds swinging tbeir arms to the left; the tourist looking upwards through the lens of his camera; the group of men standing in the middle taking calls on their cell phones; the boy kicking a ball; the father holding his son up in the air; and the guy looking to make his way through this crowd on his rollerblades on the right.

It's come to my attention in the last little while that I miss a lot while driving around in my car. One of the things I'm really looking forward to about living downtown is being able to just walk around and experience the city up close and personal. I can't wait to share what I see.

2 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

That IS really cool...

phoenix said...

Funny how each time I look at it I notice something different because I only just noticed the kid up at bat to the left.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...