Saturday, July 07, 2007

What do I wanna be when I grow up?

I thought this job I was interviewing for was what I wanted. But now I'm not so sure anymore.

The interview went alright. I never can tell, though. It was 2 hours long - the kind of interview where 10 more minutes became another 10 and I was just tired and wanted to get outta there but had to grin and bear it because I still had to be "on" for what turned out to be another 40 in the end.

So here's the thing: the position isn't too, too different from the role I left about 2.5 years ago, except that there's a lot more analysis rather than rote reporting.

I scanned the staff directory while I was waiting for the interviewing manager to come get me* and a lot of the names were familiar to me...so it got me thinking - would this move be a step forward or back? I knew going in that this would be a lateral move for me. But would I be going from one dissatisfactory position to another? Should I just stick around a bit longer to see if things change where I am now and in the meantime continue to look for something that's more ideal?

I learned yesterday afternoon that the winds of change that have been hinted at have finally come. My group will be undergoing another organizational change - a member of our senior leadership team is joining another group - so that could be good, bad or indifferent for me.

What to do? What do I wanna be when I grow up?? I don't know, and I always thought I would.

So I've got me some thinking to do...

* The manager who interviewed me isn't actually the hiring manager. He's doing the initial screening and will be forwarding a few candidates onto the manager who I could potentially be reporting to - and I've heard nothing but nice things about him from my contacts.

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

I ask myself this question everyday...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...