Saturday, July 07, 2007

Toronto Night Market

I just got back from a couple hours spent with my mother at the Toronto Night Market, a weekend-long event organized by Power Unit, a group of students and recent grads 17-26 years old with diverse backgrounds and interests. They're united in the belief that youth can leave an indelible mark upon society for the better. Since their inception in 2002, they've raised over $35,000 for Toronto charities. This year's beneficiary is the Yee Hong Centre for Geriatric Care.

While it's held only a short walk away from my house, this was my first time attending. The atmosphere reminded me of Temple Street Market at night in Hong Kong: crowded with people out for a late night stroll or shopping amongst little booths where vendors sold their wares.

There was an Iron Chef-esque competition going on when we were there and all I managed to catch while walking about the crowds was that one of the contestants was preparing a dish with round and plump deep-fried tofu.

A basketball and volleyball court were set up to the north of the market where I suspect some kind of tourney was going on. Just south of that was the goods market - where vendors sold costume jewellery, cellphone accessories, and DVDs.

The stage was set up in the middle and to the south of the that was the food market - and there was some yummy eats to be had, including:

BBQ lamb on a skewer - so juicy and tender!

Grilled pineapple sprinkled lightly with cinnamon sugar - I'm going to have to try this tomorrow for my BBQ!

And stinky tofu, which appeared to be really popular since they had about a dozen woks going and 3 different queues. I've never tried it, and it looks harmless enough, but if my mother, who eats foul-smelling durian, says it makes her want to gag, it's enough for me to know that my life is probably complete without having ever tried this. My love and enjoyment of chicken feet at dim sum will have to suffice as evidence of my Chinese-ness. ;)

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

I never liked tofu, so I doubt I'd like stinky tofu, either... LOL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...