Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Why do you run?

My 5K running clinic started last night. I got there a little early and caught the tail-end of a discussion in the marathon running clinic held before mine starts. The instructor was talking about motivation and she shared the story about a man she met when she first taught him in a Learn to Run clinic several years ago. He was in his 60s at the time and could barely run 30 feet down to the light from the store entrance but when asked why he wanted to learn to run, he said he was training to run a marathon.

She was surprised by his lofty goal but soon learned that he was running to fulfill his wife's dream of running a marathon. He cared for her at home and for another 5 years after that when she was in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimer's. She's passed on now, but he's since qualified for the Boston Marathon next year which is pretty damn cool.

So why do I run? When I first started, I ran because I thought it would be a good way to lose weight and get in shape...but I've since found that I like the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction after I've finished. I love how strong and capable I feel because I didn't think I'd be good at it and I've since proven that I am completely able. Getting healthy and fit is a lovely by-product.

Having said this, it's still a challenge to get my butt out the door most days - particularly when it's so damn hot outside!

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

Why do I run??

I try never to run...unless I'm trying to catch a train. LOL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...