Monday, August 13, 2007

I plan so as not to overpack

I spent yesterday afternoon trying on different outfits for my trip to Peru. I know it sounds really obsessive-compulsive but my only defense against overpacking, particularly when space is at a premium in my backpack, is to plan my wardrobe for the 10 days that I will be gone.

It seems simple enough, I mean, it's just 10 days, right? What's the big deal about going away for 10 days? But throw in the very real possibility that I may see days with highs in the 20s and nights when the temperature hovers around 0, and I's got issues.

So it's all about LAYERS. Colour-wise, I'm sticking with my usual palette of pink/purple/black/gray with some khaki green thrown in - this way I don't have to worry about things clashing:


I'm bringing 5 short-sleeved T-shirts (yes, the gray one is beaded - I consider that my jewelry, thank you) and 3 long-sleeved ones to layer beneath. Pants-wise, I'm bringing a pair of khaki-green cargo capris and a pair of black pants to hike in. I'll also pack a couple tank tops for additional layering flexibility.

To keep me warm, I'm counting on my black MEC hooded fleece and to keep me dry, a new Columbia Titanium waterproof shell in "Blue Bell" that I picked up on sale yesterday. I'm having second-thoughts about the light blue colour though, and am flirting with the idea of going back to the store tomorrow to exchange it for a darker mossy-green colour that I think is called "Boa."

Shoes-wise, I'm going to be super-efficient - just a pair of hiking shoes that the ex gave me for my birthday a while back, a pair of birkenstocks and a pair of flip-flops.

For the flight, I plan on wearing a pair of long khaki-green cargo pants and a couple layered tank-tops. With this wardrobe, there will be no fancy nights out on the town, that's for sure!

I'll have to pack mitts and a toque for the early morning and nights, plus long underwear to sleep in. I think I just might be able to handle sleeping in a bag in a tent, up on a mountain since I'll be too tired from hiking during the day to care - but if I'm laying there sore, crusty with greasy hair from not washing it for a few days and cold, then all bets are off.

2 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

Isn't it hard to figure out what to pack?? It takes me forever... :0

phoenix said...

Is it ever! I spent a few hours Sunday trying out umpteen combinations and another hour yesterday second-guessing myself. I'm still unsure whether I've packed the right clothes for the weather but it seems silly to fret about it for any longer than I already have. ONE MORE SLEEP!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...