Saturday, March 15, 2008

S&W's big secret

My best friends S&W arrived back from vacationing in Turks & Caicos last night and messaged me this afternoon about getting together for dinner tonight.

While we were waiting by the entrance for our table to be set, they smiled at each other and W announced, "Before we take our gloves off, we should tell you something."

So I looked from him to her and said, "You got engaged!"

W smiled and shook his head and told S to tell me but she couldn't so I said, "You got married?!"

And they smiled and nodded.

I wasn't really surprised because S had always said that she didn't want a big to-do, and W always sort of struck me as rather ambivalent about marriage. Regardless, I'm happy they did it the way they wanted it done - just the two of them on the beach at dusk without the pomp and circumstance.

They'd been planning this since the summer without a word to anyone. W's dad only just found out yesterday, they'll be telling their mothers tomorrow, and the rest of the friends via email.

It struck me after I'd heard the news that the scene was very familiar - when S&W told me that they were a couple (after having been friends for years) it was by phone together when they were abroad over the new year about 4 or 5 years ago. S couldn't say the words then either, despite W's prodding so I had to guess and he had to confirm for me then too. Funny how some things don't change.

They are among my favourite people in the world and I couldn't be happier for them. Congratulations, guys!

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

That's so romantic! That's how I want my wedding to be. Private. But, that will be a very long time from now. I could change my mind by then. ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...