Saturday, January 19, 2008

'X' marks the spot

I’ve been fixated on tables with X-bases of late – part of it is aesthetic, and the other is because I’ve always liked the idea of having mixed seating – an upholstered bench on one side and chairs on the others, and an X-base is perfect for this configuration because the table legs don’t get in the way of people sliding off the end of the bench to get out.

The first work week back this year was slow since much of the office was still on holiday so I spent one of my lunch hours at DeBoer’s College Park location. It was here that I saw this bench/glass-topped X-base combo. I’m not keen on the clear glass top – I don’t want to see people’s laps or feet when I’m eating – but if it was maybe black glass, I might be OK with it, although I’m weary of fingerprints.

Browsing online, I came across a number of other options, including this one at Furniture Toronto:

Today, while browsing along Queen West, I stopped in at Industrial Storm for the first time and was mightily-impressed with what I saw. Among the great finds is this bamboo-topped, stainless-steel base wonder:

This square table in zebra wood, again, with the X-base, is absolutely stunning:

My all-around favourite though, is this one with the multi-X base:



They do custom-work at Industrial Storm, so any of these tables may be customized size- and material-wise – for a price, bien sur.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...