Saturday, January 05, 2008

King East Style

I spent the afternoon browsing the shops along King East between Jarvis and Parliament, a strip that is chockablock with great furniture and design. I don't know where to begin to tell you about all that I saw today that inspired me, but here goes.

Mid-Century Modern at Klaus by nienkamper
I've recently come to admire the style known as Mid-Century Modern and if I were to design a space with a Mid-Century Modern flavour, I'd want it to include Pierre Paulin's Globe and Tulip Chairs which I am happy to report are as comfortable as they are cool and stylish.

And here, the playful, uber-modern Come A Little Bit Closer Bench which retails in the 5 figures(!) If you hadn't already noticed, those are marbles and the "seats" float above the marbles so you can move "a little bit closer" to the object of your affection. Fun, non?

Visitor Parking, my new favourite store
From the outside looking in, this shop is tiny but it's actually much larger than you'd expect and it's filled with fantastic gems, including this upholstered headboard by the original Designer Guys, Steven Sabados and Chris Hyndman. It's surprisingly affordable and its wing-back style will be perfect for snuggling into on the nights I tuck myself into bed with a good book. It's tall too, so it won't look stumpy given my 10' ceilings. The one thing I'm going to need is a boxspring (which I don't have) or some kind of platform on which to place my mattress if I forgo the boxspring.

For night tables, I'm rather partial to the sparkle and glamour of mirrored furniture like this one below, although the metal pedestal tables in the photo above look pretty good too.
Visitor Parking also has an amazing collection of tempered glass tables including the charmingly named Get Straight and Get Bent:

But my favourite is the more sharply-angled Nip and Tuck,


Woven art at Modern Weave
...which would look pretty fantastic with Emma Gardner's Limited Edition Bamboo Blossom, a work of art that I saw up close and personal at Modern Weave. According to the helpful sales associate, Emma Gardner was on-site for the store's grand opening last fall - how cool is that?

While there, I also came across this groovy, textured specimen which can be done in many different designs and custom colours:

Et finalement, Trianon
I have been a long-time admirer of the fabulous finds at Trianon, which I imagine would be ideal if ever I wanted to design a boudoir or inject some fun into an otherwise serious room. Consider these feathered pendants:

This fixture happens to be my favourite of the day though:

Incidentally, the occasional chair I redeemed for arrived today...

2 comments:

Jane Flanagan said...

I love the headboard!! It's very reminiscent of a very expensive bed at Restoration Hardware (and I think also one at WSHome, which we don't have here). I haven't been down in that hood in ages so will have to swing in and take a look!

The Lone Beader® said...

I think I need a Globe Chair!! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...