Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Colour me bad

My beginner's interior design class started today and I'm...less than enthused about it. My first impression is that I'm going to be annoyed going to class because 1) I don't find the instructor particularly engaging (but maybe it's first night jitters?) and - I'm probably going to hell for thinking this, given my parents are immigrants - 2) half the class (and there's only a dozen of us) is clearly ESL* so are slow in articulating themselves, (mostly, I find, due to repetition). I will give it a couple more classes since I have until the third class to cancel with a partial refund, but if it doesn't pick up, I have better things to do with the hours of 7 to 10pm on a Wednesday then sit impatiently in a class that I don't enjoy.

So what did we do in class today? Well, we covered the usual administrative, introduce-yourself-and-tell-the-class-what-you'd-like-to-get-out-of-this-course in the beginning, and then we got into drafting floorplans and elevations in a very basic fashion. We closed the class with a decorating personality quiz just for fun, which is what took F-O-R-E-V-E-R. I think I was noticably annoyed, which is terrible of me, I know.

According to the results, I'm an extrovert first and a romantic second. Design ideas that apeal to extroverts include:
- dramatic rooms that are "staged" for impact
- well-defined conversation areas in which one seat has the dominant position
- rectangular dining tables with a "host" seat at one end
- mirrors - they provide a means of getting self-approval
- a bedroom with a king-size bed and an unusal headboard
- warm colours
- spotlighted accessories
- dramatic room lighting
- accessories like trophies, and awards, things that show achivement or interest
- anything that's unusual, thought provoking, or a conversation stimulant

Romantics favour:
- antiques
- candles and candlelight
- floral prints
- delicate fabrics
- colour schemes that are drawn from nature, pastels
- rattan and wicker
- memorabilia, nostalgic accessories
- traditional styling
- hooked rugs
- frills, flounces, curved lines
- four-poster beds, canopies

I can see how some of these fit me...but others, not at all. We're supposed to come to the next class prepared with pictures of our favourite room(s) and she'll analyze whether they match our personalities.

One week down, 13 more to go...maybe.

*ESL - English as a Second Language.

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

I'm interested in what it says about introverts, cuz that's me. LOL.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...