Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Why don't hockey players smile?

I went to the gym tonight for a run and one of the TV channels just happened to be turned onto the NHL All-Star festivities. I guess it had just started since they were going down the line, introducing each of the players.

Can I just say that most of them didn't look very happy to be there? Despite living in hockey-mad - or maybe just Leaf-mad? - Toronto, I am not a hockey fan - our household favours basketball, only because my brother's a baller and it's the only sport he watches that I understand - plus, they play really good music at the games so I'm entertained twice-over. I tried to get him to explain NFL football to me once but he soon got frustrated with my questions and gave up in a huff.

The only times I've ever sat down, on purpose, to watch a hockey game from start to finish is during the Winter Olympics. I like seeing Canada reign supreme and, without fail, I get teary-eyed when the Maple Leaf is raised and I hear the first few strains of O Canada! (Ya, I'm a sap, but that's another story.)

Anyway, back to my point, the players looked stone-faced and almost uncomfortable as the camera panned onto them...I don't remember their names, but I can count on one hand the number of players that cracked a pseudo-smile. Sooo different from the bravado and smiles I typically see amongst basketball players.

3 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

They can't smile because it literally HURTS to smile, probably because they've been whacked in the face with a puck or slammed into the wall too many times. I'm sure they've all broken their jaws several times... =:(

Fletch said...

I can't comment on Hockey... Unless of course your talking the English version... Teenage girls running around on grass during the summer months with short skirts on... I can recall very vivid memories of that from when I was at school, though I don't remember if they were smiling even though I was ;o)

(Oh and did u steal my Salad on the Big Question? ;o) )

Ciao Caio

phoenix said...

Ha! No Fletch, I did not steal your salad! I answered first, and then read the rest of the comments. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...