Monday, January 29, 2007

I can see clearly now

I foolishly rinsed my left contact lens down the sink over the holidays and had to place a panicked call to my optical shop to re-order a fresh pair - I don't wear disposables and I'd had that pair for a year anyway, so I figured I may as well replace both.

Since getting the new lenses, my left eye's been off, yet, when I wear my glasses, my vision appears to be 20/20. At first I wasn't sure what to make of it - I thought maybe I had put the right lens into my left eye and vice versa - I've done it by accident in the past before. But that wasn't the case. Then I thought maybe the lenses had been mislabelled and I didn't have the right prescription. So today, I went back to the store in the hopes that my optician would be able to solve this mystery for me.

Thirty minutes and 4 pairs of trial lenses letter, his answer was that the astigmatism in my left eye had gotten worse in the last year and a half since I last got my eyes checked. My glasses corrected the astigmatism, which was why I was able to see fine when I wore my glasses, but because my contact lenses didn't correct it, my vision was blurry. He gave me a pair of trial lenses for the week, and if my vision is ok (which it is, for now, anyway) he'll order the left lenses with the astigmatism correction and I'll just have to pay the difference for the lenses.

What a relief to be able to see clearly again! I've thought about doing laser eye surgery...but there's a part of me that's scared. While I have a couple friends who've done it, it's technically still considered experimental surgery in Ontario. What if they screw up and I'm left blind?! I know that's not likely to happen, but I've only got one pair of eyes. There's no going back if they mess up. So contacts and glasses it is...fortunately, I actually look good in glasses - unfortunately, I am cursed with an Asian's bridge, or lack thereof, so glasses tend not to stay in place on my nose.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...