Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Me 'n' Books

I came across this meme at Bookmark My Heart so how could I resist?

1. Hardback or trade paperback or mass market paperback? Trade paper. Hardbacks are expensive and not comfortable to hold while reading in bed, mass papers are small and don't open well when they're thick, and trade papers sometimes come with french flaps which I love.
2. Amazon or brick and mortar? Both. I like browsing in store but I find books are more often discounted online...and I prefer Chapters as it's Canadian and I have an iRewards card.
3. Barnes & Noble or Borders? Neither. In Canada, it's either Chapters or Indigo, and since they're one and the same, it really doesn't matter.
4. Bookmark or dogear? BOOKMARK ALWAYS!! I'm super-anal about my books - I don't even like to crack the spine!
5. Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random? Random-ish. There is some method to my madness.
6. Keep, throw away, or sell? Keep because I plan on having a library of my own one day soon (that's what the den in my condo is destined for!)
7. Keep dustjacket or toss it? Keep.
8. Read with dustjacket or remove it? Remove it (see 4.)
9. Short story or novel? Novel - I prefer character and plot development over the snapshot of short stories...I don't find them satisfying.
10. Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)? Probably anthology since I've been known to buy ones published by Harlequin Romance in the past.
11. Harry Potter or Lemony Snicket? Harry Potter - can't wait for the final volume! I've the first Lemony Snicket but couldn't get past the first chapter.
12. Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks? Depends on how engaged I am in the book. I've been known to pull all-nighters to finish a book if it's THAT good.
13. “It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”? Once upon a time because I like cheesy romances and don't like to be scared.
14. Buy or Borrow? Buy because I'm stocking my library, unless I'm due for a cheesy romance fix, then I'll go to the library and borrow about 20 Harlequins and read them over the next couple weeks.
15. New or used? New - see 4 above.
16. Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse? Browse, and upon occasion, recommendation.
17. Tidy ending or cliffhanger? Depends on the book.
18. Morning reading, afternoon reading or nighttime reading? Usually night-time reading because that's when I have the time.
19. Standalone or series? Both.
20. Favorite series? Harry Potter, Griffin & Sabine, and the various trilogies by Nora Roberts - when I'm feeling blue, or need a mindless fix, I'll pick up one of her books and visit with some of my favourite couples.
21. Favorite book of which nobody else has heard? My taste doesn't run to the weird and obscure.
22. Favorite books read last year? The Thirteenth Tale.
23. Favorite books of all time? The Alchemist, Essays in Love, Conditions of Love, Nora Roberts' romances (see 19.)

I also stumbled upon this quiz, and apparently I'm a Literate Good Citizen. Heh.

What Kind of Reader Are You?
Your Result: Literate Good Citizen

You read to inform or entertain yourself, but you're not nerdy about it. You've read most major classics (in school) and you have a favorite genre or two.

Book Snob
Dedicated Reader
Obsessive-Compulsive Bookworm
Fad Reader
Non-Reader
What Kind of Reader Are You?Create Your Own Quiz

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Regarding question no. 1: I find hardback books hurt more when they land on your face in bed. I'm just saying.

Also, I think I was a Dedicated Reader.

phoenix said...

Good point. That hadn't occured to me, but I've yet to fall asleep reading in bed, so duly noted.

The Lone Beader® said...

I'm anal about my books, too. Gotta use a book mark at all times:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...