Friday, January 12, 2007

6K, baby!!

I went to the gym tonight after dinner and had a fantastic run. And you know what made it fantastic? Well, to start with, I decided to be a bit ambitious in terms of the timing of the sets and the speed - W1/R7 (I had sort of plateaued at W1/R6) and I ran at a faster pace than usual. It was relatively effortless, i.e. I only felt the twinge of a teeny cramp at the end of my second set, and after walking for a couple minutes, it went away and stayed away. I also ran an additonal 10 minutes and probably could have continued running for another set. And finally, I wasn't even sure I wanted to go and I did and I broke my previous record by running just over 6K! Yay for me!!!

Let's rewind, shall we?

I had packed my bag last night for a run after work. The gym is on my route home, and instead of turning right into the parking lot, I drove on by towards home. I was in no mood for a run and knew a half-ass effort would only discourage me for the next time. I rationalized with myself that it was OK to skip the gym because I have plans to meet my friend for a class tomorrow morning - our first BodyJam class.

I worked on my jewelry for an hour after dinner and felt guilty about skipping my run. I remembered the re-run of Cityline I saw last week in which they talked about making workouts a priority by scheduling it into your day, etc. I was inspired by that episode and have since begun putting it into my planner.

Besides, I didn't exactly have the healthiest - nor tastiest - breakfast this morning with my sausage, egg and cheese sandwich from Tim Hortons. To add insult to injury, I picked the sandwich with the most calories according to their nutrition guide - it rings in at a whopping 500 calories and 34g of fat. McDonald's Sausage 'n' Egg Mcmuffin tastes WAY better and has 60 fewer calories and 8g less of fat - not that I keep count or anything. But if I was going to cheat on a diet, McDonald's would be my poison based on taste and nutritional content (or lack thereof).

So to make a long story short, I felt guilty and decided to head to the gym to run off some of my breakfast. And am I ever glad I did! I feel energized and proud. :)

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

I could go for an Egg Mcmuffin right now. LOL!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...