Friday, May 11, 2007

My latest book buys

I ordered 5 books online Monday night, one of which arrived Wednesday and the remainder were waiting for me when I arrived home tonight from work.

Kiss and Tango by Marina Palmer
This one has been on my wishlist for about a year now and it's top of mind because there is a girl* in my mandarin class who is going to Argentina later this summer to study tango, which I think is pretty damn cool.

I've been wanting to take flamenco lessons for a few years now but I haven't yet found a class that's held at the right time and the right place. I expect it'll be easier when I move downtown - the commute from the 'burbs pretty much sucks, and all the dance schools I've found are downtown.

Around the World in 80 Dates by Jennifer Cox
I found this title while browsing the literary travel section last weekend and it sounds like something right up my alley - female writer recounts her adventures travelling around the world with a romantic twist.

Imagined London by Anna Quindlen
Another title off my wishlist - literary travel at its most literal: "[Quindlen's] book is about traveling and reading in a city in fact and a city in fiction and where and how the two cities intersect. "

Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert
I first read about this title about a month ago I don't remember where...it might have been in the paper or in a magazine. Again, it's a female writer who travels in the hopes of finding herself.

The London Collection
This is the title that triggered my latest book-buying binge since I was looking for a birthday gift for WC who's an Anglophile with very particular tastes. We're all going out tomorrow night for drinks so it arrived just in time. I hope he likes it.

I didn't have to buy all these books of course. I could have just bought the one book for WC and called it a day, but I had to spend at least $39 to qualify for free shipping. Why pay for shipping if I don't have to? Besides, it's not like I wasn't going to buy these books eventually anyway.

I'm just being efficient.

*By girl, I don't mean that she's very young. I could probably say woman, but I think of myself as a girl instead of a woman so I tend to refer to my female contemporaries as girls too.

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

I might go to Argentina next year... it is definitely on my list of places to go... And, maybe I should get that London book. I LOVED that city. I want to try to go there once a year. In fact, I'd move there if I thought I could make a living... Anyways, check some of the pics from my trip HERE.

Lata...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...