Monday, May 21, 2007

Feeling lightheaded

I met S&W for brunch yesterday at Tequila Bookworm before heading to my hair appointment.

I got there about 15 minutes early and sat with a coffee flipping through magazines before my stylist, J, arrived to greet me. I was glad to see that he was Asian, only because I figured he'd understand how Asian hair behaves (my hair is typical in that it's straight, very thick, and grows out). Oh, and he was very cute, which was a nice bonus.

The salon's signature hair service includes a "stress-relieving head, neck and shoulder massage, makeup touch up for women and a skincare hot towel treatment for men." I've gotta say, in that moment, the head massage was the best thing EVER. The neck and shoulder were blah, but the head massage? Wow.

After explaining that I needed the weight taken out of my hair and a style cut into it after 6 months of neglect, he got to work. I said bye-bye to about 4 inches overall in length and probably at least twice as much of that in the layers he cut in. Even with all the hair cut though, I still managed to give him quite the workout (his words) when it came time to blow it dry with a big, round brush. He did a pretty good job...but I can't say unequivocally that I'm thrilled with it.

The experience wasn't what I was used to. For one thing, he barely spoke to me while I was in his chair. I'm used to catching up like girlfriends do with my regular stylist, S, but with J, there was none of that, which was kind of disappointing...not to say that I expected him to ask me about my love life or work or whatever, but some conversation would have been nice. He just seemed really focused in the task at hand.

The mark of a great haircut for me is how it looks the day after. S is a genius with the shears because my hair looks just as great, if not better, the day after it's been slept on. The layers are cut so that there's even more body and wave to it the next day, just from how I've slept on my pillow. Like magic! J's cut is good...but not quite the same. If S decides not to come back from maternity leave (please please please come back from maternity leave!) I'd go back to J again.


I indulged in some retail therapy afterwards and picked up these cute (too cute?), casual shoes at Aldo, and a couple CDs: The Reminder by Feist and Michael Buble's Call Me Irresponsible. I'm listening to Feist right now, and I think as a whole, I prefer Let it Die...it's early days yet. I think it will grow on me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...