Thursday, May 03, 2007

Red Rocks and Loveland

My last full day in Denver was Sunday and we spent part of the morning at the outlet mall where I didn't do too much damage in the almost 2 hours that we were there...truth be told, I was actually a little bored by the shopping! Given the choice to go to another outlet mall where I'd be able shop Banana Republic and J. Crew, I opted instead to get started on our drive further up the mountain so we could get started on our hike. I didn't pack my hiking shoes for nothing!

So off we went. First stop: Red Rocks Park and Ampitheatre. This picture was taken on our way up to the theatre proper. Can you imagine being able to cycle amongst this scenery everyday? I find it inspiring and I don't own a bike!


Here's a view from the last row of the ampitheatre:

N and I walked all the way down and back up again - or rather, he had to show off and "run" up, whereas I went at a more reasonable pace. It'd be quite amazing to attend a concert here at night with the lights of Denver twinkling in the background.

Our next stop was up to Loveland Pass, which, as you can see, is 11,990 ft above sea level. It was noticably cooler at that altitude. The snow hadn't melted yet and there was a blustery wind blowing...but still nice despite all that.

We made our way up one side of the pass and from here, you can see where we had parked our car in the distance below beside the road (I have no idea how high we were but it took us an hour to go up and down):


And here's another view from the top with me in there for perspective. Despite it being a rather overcast, there was still enough sunlight reflected off the snow that I regretted not wearing my sunglasses.

I had a great time and thought I was doing so well since I didn't feel too winded or anything. But it wasn't until we were on our way down the mountain that the effects of the altitude got to me and I ended up napping for much of the drive back into town. Which was rather disappointing because I'm sure I missed some beautiful scenery. : (

We debated making dinner but ended up dining at Brothers BBQ where we ordered too much food. Between the two of us, we feasted on pork ribs, pulled pork, pulled beef, potato salad and beans - needless to say, there were leftovers.

We got back and I spent the next couple hours getting myself organized to leave the next day. I roped N into watching The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants - but it's his own fault since he had a copy of the DVD! He wasn't a attentive viewer though - he had a phone call part-way through the movie and missed some of the best parts. He didn't seem too bothered by it though. ;)

The next day, we stopped off at the Golden Arches for breakfast and off I left on a little jet plane for home a couple hours later.

What a lovely break from my everyday.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...