Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Real Home Renos: The never-ending saga

Our renovations are ever-evolving and what was supposed to take maybe 6 weeks has now been extended another 2 at the very least. Transaltion: no BBQs this summer.

So what’s changed? The original plan for the basement was to just tear out the faux wood-paneling and replace it with drywall if it wasn’t already there, slap on some paint and call it a day. Instead, we tore down a couple walls making 3 rooms 2, discovered a couple minor cracks in the outer walls that needed to be repaired to avoid bigger headaches further down the road, and are now replacing the wall-to-wall carpeting with laminate flooring.

It’s now been 3 weeks since we started the basement project, and it’s only just starting to get really exciting because they put in all the pot lights and started painting a couple of the rooms. The creamy-yellow I chose for the walls combined with the pot lights brightened up the living area immensely. When my brother took a look this evening, he was taken aback by the dramatic difference: “Wow. There’s enough light that I can actually study down here.” Yay for me for picking the right colour and pushing for pot lights! I got to tell my mother "I told you so," since she wanted to keep the awful fluorescent tube lights that are common in office buildings. (Why we had it down there to begin with is beyond me...I was just a kid when the basement was refinished so had no say.)


And it’s another stupid-hot day. I was watching the evening news tonight and with the humidex, today’s 36°C felt like 47°C!! Stupid-hot. I abandoned my frozen lasagna dinner for wings at Duff’s and almost wished I had stayed behind in the cool comfort of my office because it was just icky-gross out there. I felt sorry for the guys in their pants. At least I had the benefit of whatever breeze there was underneath my skirt.

I didn’t particularly want to go out again after coming home, but my brother enlisted my help in finding furniture for his basement apartment…so I trekked out again into the H3 (hot, hazy, humid) weather to check out sofas.

I don’t know what it is with guys and ugly leather monstrosities disguised as furniture. We spent Sunday afternoon at Ikea and he had picked out this black leather sofa that was just eww. Since there’s no rush to buy furnishings with the renovations quite a ways from being finished, I suggested that we check out a few more stores before buying. So tonight, we dropped in at The Brick (where we spied a couple affordable candidates) and Sears Home (over-priced and…um…too “old folks” for my brother’s taste). With an hour left before the stores closed, we drove down the street and ended up at The Chesterfield Shop. (If my brother was alone, he would have completely bypassed it, not knowing that chesterfield is another word for sofa.)

I went in with no expectations of finding anything, and funnily enough, it was here that we found what we wanted: a modular sectional that is perfectly comfortable and just the right size. We’ll go back this weekend to make the purchase…and since it will take about 8 weeks for delivery, we won’t have to worry about where we’ll store it while the house is being renovated.

Now if only I could find my square-shaped ceiling light fixtures so easily. Perhaps I should just stop looking and when I least expect it, I’ll find them!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...