Saturday, February 16, 2008

Meeting the Fire Piglet

It’s just after 7am in Vancouver and the rest of my sister’s household is still asleep. My flight arrived 30 minutes late yesterday and for a little while there, I thought I would be leaving the airport without my bags, but all was well in the end. The drive through Vancouver’s rainy dinner hour traffic to my sister’s place in Port Coquitlam was long since they don’t really have highways here. By this time I was starving since I hadn’t eaten on the plane and the last meal I had was at my lunch hour – which would have been 9am PST, so by the time I finally ate dinner here at 8pm, my body had gone from super-hungry to not-hungry to famished again.

Enough about traffic and food though. I finally got to see my niece in person and hold her in my arms and she’s not what I had expected. Excited as I was to meet her, I was also nervous because I was worried the second I held her in my arms, she’d cry out bloody murder and want her mom – which was what happened the last time I held a baby, my cousin. But EMC was quiet and watchful. She only grew restless and cried when she got hungry and wanted to be breastfed. And when my sister left to pick up the take-out around the corner because M was busy building the futon I slept in last night, EMC fell asleep peacefully in my arms. May I just say how amazing that feels?

Poor baby has a rash on her cheeks that has flared up again – it’s angry and red and makes my heart ache because it looks painful. And the stubborn girl took forever to fall asleep. T put her down but within 30 minutes, we could hear her through the baby monitor fussing and finally crying. According to my sister, they often go a few rounds like that before EMC finally decides she’s teased her mother enough to stay down for a few hours.

It’ll be interesting to watch this little fire piglet grow up...but right now, all I want is for her to wake up so I can kiss her chubby cheeks again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...