Sunday, February 10, 2008

Mad! Mad, I say!

It was a mad week that saw the last 2.5 months or so of work culminate in a 1.5 hour meeting Friday morning that was attended by about 30 people, including a dozen of the key people on the strategic team (yours truly among them), 80% of our executive committee as well as the members of the committee that meets to approve capital expenditures. I was making changes to the business model Thursday - even though the numbers were supposed to be "locked and loaded" by end of business Wednesday - and revising the presentation 30 minutes before our 9:30 start Friday - not ideal, but not surprising either considering all the moving pieces. In a nutshell, the meeting went really well, and by 11am, I was relaxed, bouncy and smiley - a dramatic change from the tense, busy-bee rushing from meeting to meeting of late.

We had our monthly team status meeting afterwards and my manager and big boss made a point of calling out all the time and effort that I'd been putting in the last while so it was gratifying to know that the long hours were not unnoticed. I celebrated the pat on the backs by taking off a little early and indulging in retail therapy!

I hopped on the subway and headed up to Yonge and Bloor where I picked up essentials like MAC's StudioTech and Studio Moisture Cream, I stopped off at Sephora for Philosophy's Purity Made Simple Cleanser which I was test-driving, and even though I hadn't intended to, I picked up a pair of new Citizens' jeans at Aritzia.

I also stopped at Tiffany, where I picked up this round pendant for my sister, who will be turning 30 during my visit in a couple weeks. I am so excited about this visit, partly because it's a very welcome break but mostly because I'll finally get to meet EMC and hear her coos and giggles up close and personal, instead of over the phone in the background! I know every aunt thinks their niece is the cutest thing but this little girl makes my heart melt every time I look at her picture - and I do NOT consider myself a baby person:


My final retail therapy fix was at Belle Epoque, a lovely little shop filled chockablock with beautiful things, including a mirrored jewellery box that had caught my eye last month. I didn't get it at the time but I had promised myself that I would go back for it, and if it was still in-store, then it was meant to be mine...clearly it knew that too, since I brought it home with me. :)

S, W and I caught up over wine and cheese at Carens, an unassuming wine and cheese bar in the heart of Yorkville, and stayed for dinner. We rounded out our evening at the Avenue Bar at the Four Seasons where we went in search of Creme Brulee but ended up sharing a yummy warm apple cinnamon pie and pecan tart. All in all, a lovely way to celebrate the end of a work week. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...