Friday, July 14, 2006

HEAT WAVE!!!

The forecast for this weekend in Toronto is crazy-hot. That being the case, my plans are to do as little as possible out-of-doors. I have a brunch date in the morning and more errands to run in the afternoon related to our home reno, but afterwards, I plan on staying home in air-conditioned comfort.

I figured I may as well make the most of this weather and buckle-down and edit my wardrobe. I probably won’t have time during the week and I definitely won’t have time next weekend so this is it.

This weekend is D-Day for my wardrobe.

I think I’ll need something long and cool to see me through.
Note to self: chill a couple bottles of wine in preparation.

Anyway, I came across this article in the Star the other day stating that theatre in Toronto is not dead, despite the early close of the Lord of the Rings. It went on to list the stage companies with bonafide box office hits including Stratford’s sold-out production of South Pacific, Shawfest’s High Society (which I saw last weekend) and Soulpepper’s The Real Thing (which I plan to see next weekend.)

I’m intrigued by Spamalot, but have no burning desire to see it. What I would love to see though is Wicked which returns for a limited engagement in the fall. I tried to get tickets for the NYC production last spring but it was impossible. I hope not to be disappointed again.
Note to self: follow up on the tickets.

On the mention of BoyGroove (which I also saw):

"Our marketing was confused…People didn't know if we were selling a musical play or an actual boy band. And we also realized too late that we had priced the show out of the range of the young audiences we wanted to attend."

I really enjoyed the satiric parody of a boyband on stage (and was pleasantly surprised by the fact that the guys could actually sing quite well, if not dance, heh). It was disappointing to see how few people were in the audience for the performance I saw—if I recall correctly, it might have been in the neighbourhood of 20…granted, it was a matinee, but still.

The audience was also quite odd—as expected, there were a few groups of girlfriends in their 20s who went through the teeny-bopper boyband phase, a few couples made up of the already-mentioned former teeny-bopper girlfriend and reluctant-but-indulgent/long-suffering boyfriend, the odd (older) man out who was there alone, and the unexpectedly rowdy bunch who took advantage of the table service at the Diesel Playhouse and proceeded to get drunk and chatty through the performance.

I had more commentary to add, but my brain’s a bit fried from the heat so that's it for now.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...