Sunday, February 18, 2007

Year of the Golden Pig


Despite the fact that this exceedingly tacky gold pig offends my decor sensibilities, it's beneficent smile never fails to elicit a smile of my own when I lay eyes on it - it actually reminds me of a happy Chinese buddha. Anyway, it showed up a couple weeks ago in pride of place on our front hall table - a symbol of the new year to come - the year of the Golden Pig, an occurence that happens once every 60 years considering that there are 12 animals in the Chinese zodiac and 5 elements. This little piggy comes with a surprise inside:


We celebrated the new year with my extended family at a local Chinese restaurant. For various reasons, we're not particularly tight-knit, so seeing all my paternal cousins and my aunts and uncles together is a treat. Also, given that most of them are older than me and married, I was able to reap the benefit of collecting lucky hong bao money. :)

There was the expected crazy amount of food. By the end of it, I think there were 13 courses, lobster among them. Luckily for me, most of my cousins were like my brother - too lazy to work for the sweet goodness of lobster. There were two lobsters served up in that course and I must have had at least half a lobster all on my own. I had to remember to pace myself or I wouldn't make it to dessert.

I'm going to surrender to my food coma now.

Gung Hey Fat Choy or Gong Xi Fa Cai if that's your preference.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...