Monday, February 05, 2007

600m pounds!


My friend W sent me this news story today about my favourite new building in London, the Gherkin, or, as I like to call it, the Christmas Lightbulb, because that's what it reminds me of. It was sold for GBP 600 million, the equivalent of about US$1 billion.

I saw it for the first time while on the bus last spring. I think it was the day that S and I had spent the day shopping. If I recall correctly, that was the day I bought not one, but two(!) pairs of suede boots (they were on sale!) and my 30th birthday gift to me, the LV Sonatine handbag which I had been eyeing for a few years - who would have thought that LV would be cheaper in London even with foreign exchange factored in? Anyway, we were on our way to meet W and friends for dinner at an Indian restaurant and the bus drove by this building and I was immediately struck by how cool it was.

It's featured quite prominently in Woody Allen's Match Point. Jonathan Rhys Meyers' character works in the building and the view from within looking out is quite spectacular. The picture below is W's favourite. It's a fantastic addition to London's skyline. All in all, a beautiful, modern building.

Photographs by Dan Chung

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...