Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Like, transcripts are, you know, complete jibberish

I've spent the last week and a bit scrutinizing the latest annual report of one of our major competitors at work to see if there are any interesting tidbits that would give us insight into their business, etc. Very dry reading, to be sure...which is why it took me so long to finish.

And just when I thought that yawn of a task was behind me, I was asked to review the transcript for a symposium in which the president of said competitor spoke. It was a more painful read than the annual report because it was a word-for-word account of the panel discussion.

Can I just say that, like, you know, it's amazing what people actually say in speech if you, like, really listen to what it is they're saying? Because, you know, it really doesn't make any sense. It's, like, complete bullshit half the time, and they throw in big words to distract you into, you know, thinking they're telling you something really important, when, you know, they're really not telling you anything of consequence.

Seriously though. I am so distracted by poor grammar that the message is often lost on me. And that was my problem today. There were 2 paragraphs that I read 5 or 6 times and I couldn't decipher what was being said. I thought maybe I was trying too hard...perhaps I just needed a fresh pair of eyes, so I asked my manager to review it too, and he had the same issues.

It was torturous and frustrating and I complained somewhat bitterly about it. And then I made him promise to never do that to me again.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...