Monday, September 04, 2006

Happy New Year to Me

Labour Day is my New Year's Eve, mostly because the start of a new school year has always represented beginnings for me, and because I'm a September baby. I will be 30 this Sunday.

I loved to go back-to-school shopping: a fresh pack of Laurentian 24s, new binders, pens and pencils, 200 sheets of lined paper and a blank student agenda. And because it was my birthday too, I'd work it so that I could handpick my own gifts. That's how I managed to get my first bottle of designer perfume in my 13th year (Poison, because I really liked the purple bottle); new clothes from Jacob, which was my absolute favourite store in high school; and an Alfred Sung men's leather wallet, which I still use occasionally today.

Ever since finishing school though, I've noticed that I settle into a bit of a funk which I call the birthday blues. Maybe it's the disappointment of not being able to go back to school...I was in such a rush to graduate that all I want to do now is go back and live those carefree student days again.

The birthday blues for me involve a period of self-evaluation. In years past, I've always been a bit down around this time. I think about where I am in my life and about what I feel I should have accomplished by this time. The common themes have always been career and love. What else is one supposed to think about at this age?

Last year, I was happy in what I thought at the time would be a lasting relationship. And I was content career-wise because the work I was doing was interesting and challenging. This year, I find myself single and at a crossroads in my career.

Oddly enough, I'm not so concerned about the lack of romance since I've never been the type to be in a relationship for the sake of it. I'm not particularly interested in another relationship now, because it occurred to me very recently that I'm still quite angry with my ex and until I get over the anger, I couldn't be happy in another relationship anyway. So alone I shall remain.

As for my work life, it looks like it's time to move on from my current position given all the changes that will be coming down the pipe. And just as this is happening, a very promising opportunity has come my way. I haven't started job hunting in earnest yet...I've re-started my career alerts from workopolis.com but I haven't looked at any of them, and I haven't yet called up any of the headhunting agencies that I've worked with in the past. I figure I'll see what comes of this opportunity, and if I am offered the position, fantastic, if not, I'll start looking actively. My job now isn't so bad that I am desperate to leave after all.

And with every new year comes a resolution. Mine has always been to live and eat healthier. I am going to re-commit myself to regular work-outs at the gym. I was pretty good at going regularly 3 times a week until the renovation threw my whole schedule out of whack. My regular work-outs turned into regular visits to the Home Depot.

This year, I am going to learn to run. I have a plan from Running Free that I mean to follow and I am going to finally get myself fitted for proper running shoes--no more buying Nikes just because they're some shade of purple.

That's it.

Happy New Year to Me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...