Sunday, September 10, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

I'm 30 today.

30.

Thirty.

The big 3-0.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but it doesn't feel any different. I'm still the same person I was yesterday and with everything that's been going on the last couple weeks, the annual birthday blues haven't had the chance to hit.

My friends took me out for dinner last night at George, which was just as yummy as I remembered from our visit there for my last birthday. The service was fantastic, and the decor was suitably luxe but not stuffy.


Our server was a cutie...actually, come to think of it, there were a number of very attractive servers there, and I'm not just saying that because they were dressed in crisp, handsome purple dress shirts.

I started with a glass of Strawberry Bubbles, a lively libation made of fresh strawberries, mint and orange blossom, cointreau and cava which was just perfect. We each ordered a first, second and third, as well as dessert. I went with the poached lobster to start, and since we ordered a bottle of the Pirramimma Shiraz from McLaren Vale (my friend's fave), I followed that with the Ontario lamb tenderloin for my second and the beef tenderloin for my third. All very tasty. Dessert was a raspberry lime tart, my favourite part of meal because it was so light and just the right balance of sweet and tart.


Today was low-key too. I was woken up around noon by a call from my sister in Vancouver wishing me a happy birthday. I spent the afternoon with my mother checking out blinds: After visiting The Home Depot, which everyone knows is my new favourite store, she decided to go with Blinds to Go afterall.

We then went grocery shopping for my birthday dinner at home. I had requested a seafood feast, and my mother did not disappoint: there was lobster, crab and prawns. I haven't yet tasted better lobster or crab then my mother's. The lobster was baked Western-style with butter and garlic, and the crab was all Chinese-style with ground pork, green onions and ginger.

My brother's a lazy butt when it comes to eating crab, as is my mother, to a lesser extent. If my sister was here, we would have been sitting at the table, the two of us, patiently picking out the crab meat, but because she's not, I had the crab pretty much all to myself. Fantastic, is all I gotta say about that. :)

I checked the horoscope for today's birthday. Apparently:

Lamenting over missed opportunities only makes matters worse. Everything happens for a good reason. The time wasn't right for a certain plan, but this year will allow you to capitalize on an even better chance.

Interesting. The first thing that came to mind was my ex, since he recently sort of re-appeared in my life...and then left again...our timing was off from the very start...but I think that's done and I'm determined to put it behind me once and for all.

I love this kawaii not comic. It reminds me of my grandfather, who thinks I should hurry up and get married before my looks fade because no one is going to want me if I get any older. I tend to turn a deaf ear to this kind of talk. I don't think relationships can be rushed...and I have no intention of settling.

Coincidently, it's also Colin Firth's birthday today. He's 46.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...