Monday, May 29, 2006

Whole lotta white gone wrong

Today was a nasty day in more ways than one. We broke the record for the hottest May 29th in the city when our temperature reached 34˚C at Pearson Interational. (Could someone please tell me why the airport is the official place for temperature-taking?)

Given the heat and smog, the TTC union had to choose today of all days to go on a wildcat strike (and while we're at it, whoever came up with that phrase anyway?), compounding the smog by forcing commuters who would normally ride transit to drive their cars to work. The roads were a mess and by the time service was back up and running, night had fallen.

It was so hot today that I had to turn back from my lunch-hour walk. About 10 minutes in, I felt the sweat gathering between my shoulder blades, and the last thing I wanted was to go back to my desk all hot and sticky, so I re-traced my steps and sought refuge in the nearby (read: air-conditioned) Second Cup, where relief was found in a pink grapefruit-flavoured Italian soda. Ahhh!

It seemed, too, that the weather inspired many to pull on this summer’s hottest trend: summer white. I have nothing against summer white. In fact, I bought the perfect white summer dress today, so I’m all for it.

However.

I do have a problem with summer white when people choose to wear it inappropriately: I’m referring to the chick who wore the thin and tight white cotton tank top without a bra. And the other chick, who didn’t look in the mirror when she walked out the door in a long tunic masquerading as a dress. It would have been perfectly fine if perhaps she had worn a slip underneath it…and, oh, maybe panties that were not dark blue might have been a good idea too.

Girls, have a little respect for yourselves and the people around you—making Glamour’s Don’t List is NOT a Do. The general public does not want, nor need to see your nipples, or your underwear. If you’re going to wear white in the summer, please do everyone a favour and do so tastefully.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...