Sunday, February 06, 2011

Super Easy Turkey Chili

It's Super Bowl Sunday and while I don't care about the football - I never learned the rules of the game so a bunch of guys running around a field in tight pants and protective gear has no appeal - I do like the excuse to make a hearty chili.

I wanted something healthy so I used lean ground turkey and skipped the salt, save for whatever sodium was in my canned beans and it turned out rather yummy if I do say so myself.  If you want a spicier kick, I'd add a diced up jalepeno or two - I personally prefer that my chili give me a friendly nudge.

Ingredients
1 kg of ground turkey
1 tbsp ground cumin
1 tbsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp chili powder
2 tbsp paprika
2 tbsp oregano
vegetable oil
1 red onion, diced
5-6 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large can of unsalted diced tomatoes
1 can of black beans, rinsed
1 can of white kidney beans, rinsed
1 can of whole kernel corn, rinsed

  
Directions
1. Brown and drain the ground turkey. Set aside in a bowl and add the cumin, cayenne pepper, chili powder, paprika and oregano.
2. Coat the bottom of a large pot with vegetable oil and toss in the onions and garlic to brown.
3. Stir in the diced tomatoes and let simmer for 5-10 minutes on medium heat.
4. Add the turkey, beans and corn. Stir and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.

This makes enough for 6-8 people, depending on the serving size.  I've got plenty left over so I'll be refrigerating some for a lunch and dinner later through the week, and freezing the rest for a particularly lazy day.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...