Sunday, February 20, 2011

Blueberry Coconut Scones

I don't know what it is but I've been feeling the urge to bake of late. Last week it was cupcakes and this week it's scones.  I've been wanting a taste of these scrumptious blueberry coconut scones again ever since a colleague shared the recipe with me a few weeks ago. 

Here's my not-so-pretty attempt:
I used whole wheat flour in an attempt to make it a little healthier and because I wasn't really paying attention, cleaned it up a little further by using just over 3/4 cup of coconut cream instead of the 1 cup the recipe called for.  I also forgot to brush the tops with coconut cream before putting it in the oven.
These were my first ever scones so I was a bit worried I'd messed up the recipe since the dough was crumbly and didn't seem to want to come together - in hindsight, it was probably because I didn't use enough coconut cream - duh.  Check the super-homely before and after above.

Despite how ugly they are, they came out rather yummy, although not as coconut-y as my colleague's version.  I can definitely taste the whole wheat and there's just a hint of coconut...I'll have to make it as directed next time. 

I prefer my scones with a very healthy dollop of cream and jam spread atop it - certainly more than is pictured below - but it's late so I decided to go easy on the toppings.  I'm rather looking forward to breakfast tomorrow though!




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...