Sunday, August 29, 2010

Everything Is Illuminated

I finally finished Jonathan Safran Foer's Everything Is Illuminated today as I began it over a month ago - out in the sun on my balcony.

I remember how amused and excited I was by the language of the novel when I first started: the story unfolds in the broken English of Sasha, the Ukranian who accompanies Jonathan on his "premium" but "rigid" quest to find Augustine, the woman who saved his grandfather from the Nazis. 

But as time progressed, I began to find it rather gimmicky and contrived - OK, and maybe a little annoying, because of my general impatience with poorly written English.

Not for me this one, but I persevered and finished it given all the rave reviews.  On to the next novel...which I think will be One Day, another Lainey reco.  I need a break from WWII-era novels.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...