Sunday, September 05, 2010

One Day

I finished David Nicholls' One Day this afternoon.  This was another recommendation by Lainey - you can read her review here - and it's really that good.

If you've already read the book, you'll understand why I was all "WTF?!?" at the end of Part Four and frustrated and crying through Part Five.

Actually, much of this book was frustrating, not because of the writing - no - the writing was beyond solid, but because the characters were so real.  There were various times that I wished I could step into the book, grab hold of Emma and Dexter's shoulders and just shake them and tell them: "Snap out of it! Why are you doing this? Can't you see what's right in front of your faces?!?"  Dexter especially!

I've said enough because if I say anymore, it may just spoil the story for you.  Go. Read it.   
~~~
From the wesbite:

‘I can imagine you at forty,’ she said, a hint of malice in her voice. ‘I can picture it right now.’

He smiled without opening his eyes. ‘Go on then.’

15th July 1988. Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew meet for the first time on the night of their graduation. Tomorrow they must go their separate ways.

So where will they be on this one day next year? And the year after that? And every year which follows?

One Day is a funny/sad love story spanning twenty years, a book about growing up – how we change, how we stay the same.
~~~
The movie version starring Anne Hathaway and Jim Sturgess is currently in production and there's a part of me that's really, really scared that it's going to pale in comparison to the book...but the screenplay is also written by David Nicholls so perhaps not...

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...