Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Home is where the heart is

It's funny that while I technically have my own home - I've been making mortgage payments for the last 2 years(!) to prove it - I still refer to my childhood home, the house my mom's lived in for the last 25 years and the one where I lived in for 23, give or take the 4 years I was away at Waterloo, as my home. 

When people ask me what I'm doing for the weekend, I sometimes say "I'm going home," with the implication being my mom's house and even my mom gets confused because we'll be on the phone and she'll ask me where I am, or what I'm up to, and depending on the context, I may say, "I'm on my way home," and she'll have to ask for clarification.  Anyway - all this to say that I'm still very much invested in my childhood home.

My mom recently had an energy audit done of our house and one of the things identified for improvement was the front door...so we're getting a new front door!  My mom has no real interest in decor and design so I can't begin to tell you how much fun I've had in picking a style and finish let alone the options available for handlesets and levers!

After going back and forth a few times, I finally decided on the Rockland style to the left here by Masonite which will be flanked by matching side lites.  The door to the left isn't the exact style since I've chosen a 2-panel door, i.e the the main lite or decorative panel is one and the 2 panels at the bottom would be one.

Our door is currently a clear-stained wood door - possibly oak - and I had wanted to go with a coloured door but I finally settled on white after driving around our neighbourhood and noticing that white doors really stand out.  Our house is a reddish-brown brick and because we have a storm door enclosure, the main entrance is relatively dark - particularly at night.  My thought is that the white will be the bright beacon and the glass insert the decorative sparkle. 

While I've followed the trend of a white door, I opted to go with a glass insert that was more Art Deco than Art Nouveau-Victorian in style like the ones below.  These would have been perfectly fine, except that they're rather ubiquitous in our neighbourhood.  


For the handleset and lever, I initially chose Camelot (left) because I liked how the curved detail of the lock and handle echoed that in the glass insert, but then I changed my mind because I didn't like the bump where the lever of the handle sits.  So I set my sights on Paris (middle) for the same reasons as Camelot, minus the bump but on second thought, decided that the handle lever looked wimpy and probably wouldn't feel comfortable to touch. I finally settled on Barcelona (right) because it has the clean, smooth face of  Paris and a more substantial lever similar to Camelot. 


What do you think?

Next on my list of to-dos is a visit to Olympia Tile to choose a tile for our storm enclosure...can't wait! 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...