Thursday, July 30, 2009

Lobsterlicious

I had dinner at Scaramouche tonight, a restaurant that I've wanted to try for as long as I've indulged in fine dining in Toronto. It's been called one of the most romantic restaurants in Toronto because of the number of proposals that have been made there over the years, and I suppose it's because of this that I haven't been to date. It doesn't sound like a place you'd go with your friends.

I finally satisfied my curiosity, and it's really their Summer Lobster Menu which lured me in:

The prix fixe menu comes with 1.5 lbs of lobster out of the shell in 2 courses and hello! Was it ever tasty!!

I started with the lobster ravioli:

And followed that up with the poached lobster:

wL had the steamed lobster below:

And for dessert, I had Scaramouche's famous coconut cream pie which was surprisingly light and just sweet enough without being cloying and artificial.

Now, I will admit that this is the first time I've ever had coconut cream pie so I am no expert, but I think you'd be hard-pressed to find one more perfect than the pie at Scaramouche as far as I'm concerned.

Other observations - the average age of the diners there was decidedly older than wL and I by a good 15-20 years. The dining room decor was rather dated and I was unimpressed by the views of downtown Toronto which it's known for, but the service was impeccable and I loved the complimentary valet parking - it felt very L.A. :)

I had heard that they were closing this year because the condominium they're located in wanted to renovate and build additional residential units but they were able to negotiate an extension on their lease through to the end of 2010 so go check them out if you're so inclined. The Lobsterlicious prix fixe ends tomorrow with the close of the Nova Scotian lobster fishery season but it'll be replaced in August by the Sparkling Menu made up of courses using the freshest local and seasonal ingredients to be paired value-priced sparkling wines from around the world. Bubbly for dinner? Tempting, non?

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

Wow, that is a lot of food!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...