Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wordscapes

I said I was going to sleep but I had to check one last thing online and then one thing led to another to this TED video and 20 minutes later I'm still up. 

Deb Roy is a researcher at MIT who studies how children learn language.  He wired up his house with video cameras in just about every room to catch every moment (with exceptions) of his son's life.  He and his grad students then parsed 90,000 hours of home video to watch "gaaaa" slowly turn into "water."   The process leads to the analysis of social media and how we interact with each other and TV.  The implications of this research just blows my mind.  There's research for the sake of science, yes, but considering how companies are trying to figure out how to leverage the power of social media, if they can figure out how to productize this in a way that companies can action against it, they could make a LOT of money.  And I mean A LOT a lot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...