Sunday, March 06, 2011

Weekend Update

Another weekend is drawing to a close.  This one for me was pretty low-key on purpose after getting my geek on last weekend playing Settlers of Catan/America on Friday/Saturday and spending Sunday night coming in 3rd in my cute neighbour's Oscar party pool. 

I ran some errands uptown yesterday before spending the evening at my mom's for dinner.  It was a quiet night in just relaxing and as per usual, I didn't get to bed until the wee hours.

Just before I did though, I perused Quinoa 365 which was delivered mid-week and found a bunch of recipes that I immediately wanted to try, including Maple Walnut Cereal.  With that to look forward to, I read a bit from Swan Thieves before finally settling in to sleep...when next I opened my eyes, it was 1:06pm!

This sounds bad, but I can't remember the last time I slept in past noon and wasn't hung over!  I was well-rested after more than 10 hours of sleep but woke up with a bit of a pain in my neck that hasn't gone away.  I thought I might get to my favourite yoga series for neck and shoulders but one thing led to another and I never did. 

What I did get to was some cooking.  I tried a couple recipes from my new cookbook and if the cereal is anything to go by, I've got some really yummy meals to look forward to!

Maple Walnut Cereal
1 serving
2 Tbsp chopped walnuts
1/3 cup quinoa
2/3 cup water
1 Tbsp oat bran
2 Tsp maple syrup
Milk, vanilla yogurt or cream (optional)

Place the walnuts in a small saucepan on medium-high heat. Stir frequently until the walnuts are toasted and fragrant (about 3-4 minutes).  Remove the pan from the heat and let the walnuts cool slightly.  Set aside in a small bowl.
In the same pan, combine the quinoa, water and oat bran.  Cover and bring to a boil.  Reduce to a simmer and cook for 12 minutes.  Leave the saucepan on the burner, covered, for another 6 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the walnuts and maple syrup.  Transfer to a bowl and top with milk, yogurt or cream (if using).

I tried it as-is but if felt like it was missing something so added cream (I had no milk or yogurt) and it was so so good. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...