Monday, January 10, 2011

Weekend Update

How was your weekend? Mine was quite nice - I spent the day catching up with wL.  We took in a musical together yesterday at the Canon Theatre: A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum.  I was drawn to it because of Chilina Kennedy, the female lead, who I'd last seen in the Stratford Festival's production of West Side Story which played to rave reviews - and she really was a stand-out because I don't normally remember details like actors in the shows.

Quick review: the show was funny - literally laugh-out-loud funny - and the performances were all very good, although I was a little disappointed that Kennedy's role was so small - but that's a function of the story.  Check it out quick if you're so inclined as its current run ends a week today on January 16th.

We went to Campagnolo for dinner afterwards and had a great meal.  The cocktail list was creative and the menu was short (which is how I prefer it), and printed daily in order to take advantage of fresh ingredients and stem boredom in the kitchen.  We had 2 appetizers: fresh burrata cheese on a crostini with roasted grapes which creamy goodness and braised rabbit with rapini and pine nuts which was also rather tasty.  I can't remember when I last had rabbit or what it tasted like, but this was perfectly braised and tender.  For our mains, we had fresh whole grilled sea bream and the chef's specialty: ragoût of wild boar, spare rib and tripe on polenta.  The sea bream was perfectly grilled and while some people are put off by fish that looks like fish with head and tail on, it doesn't faze me at all because that's how Chinese serve their fish.   On the chef's signature which is his nonna's recipe - I found it too salty for my taste, otherwise, the boar, spare rib and tripe were tender (although there was only 1 piece of the latter to be found in our dish.)  (Apologies for being a bad blogger and not taking photos of the mains...I was distracted by the conversation.)

My Sunday was pretty low-key.  I slept in (again) until 11am (YES!) and puttered around before heading out to pick up groceries in Chinatown.  I vegged about for a bit and proceeded to prep my meals for the week: my Monday through Thursday lunch of grilled chicken, fresh broccoli and bell peppers, and a roasted sweet potato, corn and black bean succotash to serve as a good carb to snack on through the week and to accompany a few dinners, including the salmon steak I had tonight.  Slowly getting back to a routine...

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

Wow, lucky! I never sleep in! I usually get up at 7:30am to go to the gym! Glad you had a nice weekend! :D

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...