Thursday, July 29, 2010

Sadness

I was scanning the headlines when this one caught my eye: Reference books slowly being phased out of libraries, and this makes me sad. 

I realize that times, they are a'changin', and electronic copies are more cost-effective and a greener alternative to printed copies and maybe I'm a bit of a luddite having written papers in university using hard copies of, among other references, the Canadian Periodical Index but it's just not the same - at least not for me.  (How's that for a run-on sentence?)

See, the thing about reference books I like is that the information is there to be found all in one place and it's not going to change - or at least it'll be the same until the next edition comes out.  And let's not forget easy cross-referencing.  On the internet though, you take your chances that your search will serve up just the right results. Information is pushed out rather than pulled by you and maybe, at the end of the day, I'm just old.  Or tired. 

So, good night.

1 comment:

The Lone Beader® said...

Actually, I think libraries are being phased out! :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...