Sunday, July 11, 2010

Perfect Weekend

After the steamy discomfort of the past week, this weekend has been perfect - sunny, warm and relaxing.

I haven't been up to much beyond reading, eating, sleeping and a couple loads of laundry.  I had S&W over for dinner last night after failing to get last-minute Summerlicious reservations at Celestin (scallop ceviche and lobster lemon risotto?  C'MON!) I had loads of limes left over from the caipirsakes I made last Saturday and my basil plant looked ripe for some harvesting so I browsed Epicurious - my go-to website for some refreshing summer recipes.

Our al fresco evening started with glasses of Stonechurch Vineyard's Syrah Rose and my new favourite salad, mango-radicchio caprese salad with basil vinaigrette.  The sweetness of the mangoes and white balsamic vinegar tempered the slight bitterness of the radicchio, nevermind how colourful it is!  (I had it again for lunch today, which is what you see below)



For mains, I grilled up some salmon steaks which I topped with lime butter sauce and paired with another past favourite, arugula salad with lemon-parm vinaigrette.  This we had with another bottle I picked up from Stonechurch last weekend - their 2008 Riesling.  I wish I had gotten more than one, but fingers crossed, I'll see it at the LCBO soon.

I woke up a little earlier than I would have liked this morning before 10 and lazed about before making myself a stack of pancakes spiked with vanilla protein.  As an added treat, I added some frozen mixed berries to a pot of simmering maple syrup and soaked in some sun out on my balcony. 


The fragrant yumminess of steaks grilled by my neighbours permeated the air yesterday, and even W, a long-time pescaterian was tempted so I'm due at their place later for a BBQ.  More eating!  And no working!  A girl can get used to not working on weekends!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...