Tuesday, August 11, 2009

An Extraordinary Correspondence



S first introduced me to the extraordinary correspondence of Griffin and Sabine by Nick Bantock back in university. I was excited by the vicarious thrill the original trilogy presented because the story unfolds as a series of postcards and even letters the reader can pull out of envelopes.

I didn't know until last year that there was a subsequent trilogy that completed the series. I finished the last two tonight on my balcony and was, to be honest, a little disappointed. It seemed as if the story was hastily concluded. I suppose the implication of the final 2 postcards is that Isabella is the lioness and Matthew is the mercurial scribe who mated and that the "frantic shrieking phalanx of dark birds as they succumbed to samurai blade and cat's claw" were the malevolent, mysterious Frolatti's dark angels?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...