Friday, December 28, 2007

Living/Dining I

I don't know what you think about when you're sitting in your dentist's chair getting your teeth cleaned, but I apparently think about colour schemes and floorplans - this one time anyway, since I've had design on the brain of late (that, and baking of course!)

I've been thinking a lot about my chair and how it'll look in my living room...and given its glam Old-Hollywood vibe, I've pretty much ixnayed the sectional in favour of a sofa...and I figure given the dimensions of the living/dining area I probably have room for a full-size sofa:


So I browsed and came across a number of candidates with lovely sloped arms like this one, this one, this one and this one. But my favourite was Jonathan Adler's tuxedo-framed Lampert Sofa for its elegant clean lines and fun colour - the only drawback is that the seat is button-tufted as well, which I'm not so crazy about. With this in mind, I stopped in at DeBoer's and found the Tommy Sofa:

This is a sofa with style and substance. It's tailored and plush and firm at the same time and I want it. It retails for about $2700 and is now 10% off. The lead time is about 10-12 weeks so I'll have to re-visit it in the spring if I want it in time for my August move.

The bolsters and throw pillows come with, and the latter can be done in the customer's choice of fabrics. This being the case, I was thinking initially chocolate brown, but after mulling it over during my cleaning, I was thinking cream with accents in green. Cream because it's neutral and if I'm going to spend that much on a sofa, it's going to have to be flexible decor-wise since it'll be coming with me when I eventually move to something bigger and better, and green because it's at once fresh and soothing and I had gone to the dentist from Home Outfitters where I had just bought these fabulously luxurious Wamsutta spa body towels in pistachio and ivory for my bathroom. Can you just imagine pistachio and ivory accents in a bathroom with these colours for the floor/wall/cabinets:

Actually, the lighting for those samples is pretty bad, but trust me, it'll look fresh and soothing at the same time.

But back to the living room and Tommy. I was thinking something along the lines of one of these blue/green hues for the walls:

Potential candidates for the accent pillows include "Pelagrossa Sky" to the left and "Awning Green Tea" to the right. Tommy would be upholstered in the "Bristol Dove" at centre.

For the coffee table, I'm thinking something clear because among the many other lovely rug designs including Swirl in Grass, Flowers on Water in Green/Cream and Origami in Olive/Calm Blue, I've got a thing for Emma Gardner's Stars and Kimono Branch below, and wouldn't it be a shame to hide something so beautiful?
As for the dining area, up until about 2 weeks ago, I was leaning towards EQ3's Milo dining table and chairs. I love the clean lines and the high-gloss laquered finish of the table top. I like the price too - I figure I can buy something that's more "disaposable" since I imagine the dining room in my "grown-up" home to be furnished differently. I wonder now if Milo in the Rock finish I preferred will be too stark a contrast to the style and colour scheme I've envisioned for the living room? Perhaps the Mustang finish will be more suitable colour-wise....but what of the style?

The alternative would be something similar to Ikea's Torsby dining table which has a frosted glass top (I don't want to see anyone's laps and feet when I'm eating!) and metal legs. Incidentally, EQ3 has a Boxing Week sale on now and I'm a bit tempted...
Much to ponder....Meanwhile, on my way back from the dentist, I stopped at Pier 1 to browse for some more home stuff and serendipitously found a vase (35% off!) that had all the colours I had imagined in my mind. It was clearly meant for me and who am I to deny such a sign?

2 comments:

The Lone Beader® said...

I'm loving those retro-inspired designs! :)

Jane Flanagan said...

I love the clear table / interesting rug plan - it's one I'll do too once I get the rug I want. I'm stuck on Madeline Weinrib rugs but I love your picks too, especially Swirl.

I like the EQ3 table more than the IKEA. My only concern with the cross bar is that it would be a bother to have your feet rubbing against. Have you looked at Structube too (they're at Ave & Bloor: http://www.structube.com/


If you're making any investment purchases check out the sales at Elte - they're amazing!

I'm completely living vicariously through you!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...