Sunday, May 02, 2010

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

I stayed up last night until 1am to finish reading The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. This, like The Lovely Bones and The Time Traveler's Wife, is another book that I wonder why, having finished it, it took me so long to discover. It was absolutely delightful.

Like Nick Bantock's Griffin and Sabine, TGL&PPPS unfolds through letters and correspondence. I pride myself in being able to pick up on hints the author drops in order to anticipate the plot but I did NOT see the ending coming, which was a very pleasant surprise.


From the back cover:

January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...