Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Rain = 2x as long a commute

What is it about a bit of rain that traffic slows right down?? I've written about this before and on this evening again, it's the Traffic Flow Mix that sees me through with a fantastic set of head bopping tracks.

It's funny that there was a report today about StatsCan's study on the work commute. Apparently, "people who drive to work are more likely to enjoy their commute than those who take public transit." I wonder if these same people feel the same when there driving time is doubled because of not-so-foul weather?

Generally speaking, I don't mind my drive to work because it would otherwise take me twice as long via public transit. Besides, I really need my sleep and I like the freedom of being able to run errands or go offsite for lunch during my noon hour. But when I'm stuck in stop and go traffic because of inexplicable volume caused by weather or having the bad luck to get stuck in the flow of traffic rather than the ebb, I get irked and irritable.

"...motorists’ enjoyment of their time on the road is probably linked to a sense of freedom...Even if they’re in a traffic jam, they are still in their wonderful shiny cars that they put a lot of money down to own,” says Roger Keil, a York U professor.

I wanna know who these weirdos are that don't mind being in a traffic jam? Where are these freaks hiding?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For me, it is the opposite. I only live 12 minutes south of Boston, but if I drive in the morning, I have to leave at least an hour early to get to work on time. The same goes if I take the train, but, the only difference is, I don't have to sit in dead-stopped traffic, and stress out.

phoenix said...

How's this for crazy-ironic: the very day there's a story about how people love their drive to work, there's an incidence of road rage the same afternoon with bullets flying on the 401?!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...